Wednesday, April 7, 2010

trend:celebrities as models

Alright, so, here's the thing. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it.. I really dislike seeing random celebrities on covers of magazines. Like, why does Taylor Swift have to be on the cover of a fashion magazine? When they put her on Rolling Stone that was still odd to me, but way more fitting. It's annoying to have to read (essentially) the same article written over and over again. They ask a starlet for her style tips, but what's the real point? They have stylists...people literally tell them what to wear. And, that said, the proof is in the statements. They all love the "bohemian/rock and roll/glam" look. Why? Cuz that's what Rachel Zoe decided was cool and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. And what I love the most is reading something like, "I really dress unique, I'm an individual. My style is really bohemian". Whose isn't at this point?

What happened to the supermodel? What happened to the actor or musician being tucked inside the pages of the magazine as a feature article? I do want to read about celebs I like, but I don't want to see a 5 page spread of their "style".

What happened to fashion? You know, there are reasons why I don't buy Seventeen anymore. Why are trendy immature looks being featured in everything from Elle to Vogue? Where are the articles about the designers whose garments grace the pages of these magazines, draped over the going-to-fade-away star? They are the artists whose opinions on fashion matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment